« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

IOBlix ethernet addon module

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

omgas
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

IOBlix ethernet addon module

Post by omgas »

Hello, I recall at the time when installing roadshow, I could not get my IOBlix working, and had to turn to ariadne1 instead.

At some point in furure, I hope to find the time to do some more testing, but first I would like to ask if there are any known issues?

I am aware of the IOBlix drivers being a bit dodgy, but the card/module does work with MiamiDX and latest-1 IOBlix driver release.

Thankyou in advance,

-omgas

Btw, long term stability of roadshow is top! Uptime is now past 9 months.

Packets sent = 132274568
Packets received = 261395367
Packets dropped = 10 (in = 0, out = 0)
Buffer overruns = 0
Unknown packets = 562
Number of bytes received = 295129286653
Number of bytes sent = 7057426212
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: IOBlix ethernet addon module

Post by olsen »

omgas wrote:Hello, I recall at the time when installing roadshow, I could not get my IOBlix working, and had to turn to ariadne1 instead.

At some point in furure, I hope to find the time to do some more testing, but first I would like to ask if there are any known issues?
From the top of my head, there are there are a few things I'd like to update, but these are not necessarily what I would consider serious bugs.

Item #1 is in how the select() function know when to return without registering new traffic. In certain rare edge cases the timeout is susceptible to the Amiga's current clock time changing, e.g. if you change the time by +/- several hours. This issue is related to how long the ARP cache entries are valid, too. I already have a solution that works better, but I have not gotten around to testing it yet on a 68000 machine. My A600HD no longer works :-( The alternative is to use WinUAE, but I have not yet set up a virtual A600HD inside it yet.

Item #2 is that the timeout granularity for the select() function is too crude, as it breaks down to only up to 1/50 second. I have a fix for that, too, which allows for millisecond granularity.

Item #3 is in how online/offline transitions are handled by Ethernet interfaces which use DHCP. If you pull and reinsert the network connector then DHCP should be restarted. I have no good idea how to do that yet.

Item #4 is that the ftp client may have buffer overrun issues related to how strings are processed. I have a fix for that, too, already.

And that is pretty much it. An update for Roadshow is in the works (holidays are coming up!).
I am aware of the IOBlix drivers being a bit dodgy, but the card/module does work with MiamiDX and latest-1 IOBlix driver release.
I have no IOBlix hardware to test with. If MiamiDeluxe works with it, then it might be due to how it talks to the underlying driver. Roadshow, and for example, AmiTCP, too, queue upwards of 20 read requests for the driver to fill with inbound data. MiamiDeluxe is much more modest in that respect.

You might want to try and edit your network interface configuration file in DEVS:NetInterfaces. Find the line which reads "iprequests" (it is probably commented out and reads "#iprequests=32"). Make sure that it is not commented out and use a smaller number, e.g. "iprequests=8". Shut down the network and restart it again. Does it work any better? Try reducing the number again.
Thankyou in advance,

-omgas

Btw, long term stability of roadshow is top! Uptime is now past 9 months.

Packets sent = 132274568
Packets received = 261395367
Packets dropped = 10 (in = 0, out = 0)
Buffer overruns = 0
Unknown packets = 562
Number of bytes received = 295129286653
Number of bytes sent = 7057426212
Not to mention the long term stability of the hardware which it is running on :-)