« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon WhatsApp
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

wireless

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

wireless

Post by scarrabri »

Hi is it possible to use wireless with Roadshow ,I know it works brilliant with Ethernet ,but I now have a Samsung Gallaxy 4 mobile and would like to teather to my Amiga and use it wireless ,best wishes Brian
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: wireless

Post by olsen »

scarrabri wrote:Hi is it possible to use wireless with Roadshow ,I know it works brilliant with Ethernet ,but I now have a Samsung Gallaxy 4 mobile and would like to teather to my Amiga and use it wireless ,best wishes Brian
If I understand you correctly, you want your Amiga to become what is known as a "Wi-Fi access point". That is, the Amiga should manage how wireless devices such as smartphones access the Internet. This is what tethering the device implies.

Short answer to your question: no, to the best of my knowledge this won't work.

Long answer coming up: You can use Roadshow to access the Internet (or your local network) wirelessly through network device drivers such as Neil Cafferkey's "prism2.device". If you do that, your Amiga connects to a Wi-Fi access point, and you can start accessing the network through the access point. The driver software is available on Aminet and requires a specific type of networking hardware, and Roadshow ships with a configuration file to make use of it.

There is a difference between connecting to a wireless data network and being a Wi-Fi access point.

If you want your mobile phone to connect to a Wi-Fi access point, you need to provide access information (that would be a login name and a password), and if this data checks out, the Wi-Fi access point will keep track of the fact that your phone is permitted to send data through it.

If you want your computer to act as a Wi-Fi access point, then it will have to do the job of managing access to the network, checking access information for every phone, tablet, etc. which wants to sign on, and it will have to perform the task of transporting data between the wireless device and the network (it will have to work as what is called a "gateway router").

As of this writing, there is more than one key component missing which would be required to turn your Amiga into a Wi-Fi access point. The software which manages the access to the network does not exist for the Amiga. As far as I know, nobody has written or ported such a program yet.

Roadshow can act as a "gateway router" (it comes with the whole set of firewall and NAT services; documentation, tools and example configuration files are included), but in the absence of the Wi-Fi access point software it cannot support Wi-Fi tethering.
scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Teathering

Post by scarrabri »

Woe that's a little complicated for me ,I have a wireless card I have the correct wireless drivers ,I have a Samsung 4 phone does this mean I can connect using Roadshow or not .
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Teathering

Post by olsen »

scarrabri wrote:Woe that's a little complicated for me ,I have a wireless card I have the correct wireless drivers ,I have a Samsung 4 phone does this mean I can connect using Roadshow or not .
No, you cannot.

You need a dedicated device for this, e.g. something like the NetGear Wireless-N 150 access point WN604, which sells for some £33 on Amazon UK.

Such a device (which needs to be set up, through a web browser, and probably none of the Amiga web browsers will do) connects to your local wired network and enables wireless devices such as smart phones and tables to connect through it.
scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by scarrabri »

olsen wrote:
scarrabri wrote:Woe that's a little complicated for me ,I have a wireless card I have the correct wireless drivers ,I have a Samsung 4 phone does this mean I can connect using Roadshow or not .
No, you cannot.

You need a dedicated device for this, e.g. something like the NetGear Wireless-N 150 access point WN604, which sells for some £33 on Amazon UK.

Such a device (which needs to be set up, through a web browser, and probably none of the Amiga web browsers will do) connects to your local wired network and enables wireless devices such as smart phones and tables to connect through it.
Hi thank you for your kind reply , I will be back with normal Ethernet connection next week and use your brilliant Roadshow as soon as Talk Talk reconnect very best wishes ,and thanks for a first class Stack ,Brian.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

scarrabri wrote:
olsen wrote:
No, you cannot.

Hi thank you for your kind reply , I will be back with normal Ethernet connection next week and use your brilliant Roadshow as soon as Talk Talk reconnect very best wishes ,and thanks for a first class Stack ,Brian.
I read your forum postings on www.amiga.org, and I now have I doubts that I understood correctly what you mean by "tethering". Could you explain?

From how I understand the term, "tethering" means that you access the Internet through the local wireless (WLAN, or Wi-Fi) network instead of through your phone carrier's wireless network.

Is it this what you were doing with the PC you mentioned?
scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by scarrabri »

olsen wrote:
scarrabri wrote:
olsen wrote: No, you cannot.

I read your forum postings on www.amiga.org, and I now have I doubts that I understood correctly what you mean by "tethering". Could you explain?

From how I understand the term, "tethering" means that you access the Internet through the local wireless (WLAN, or Wi-Fi) network instead of through your phone carrier's wireless network.

Is it this what you were doing with the PC you mentioned?

Hi yes I can either connect my phone to the pc or I can use wireless to my pc and it works a treat using Easynet so in theory as there is a new scanning update for the Amiga there should be away of wirelessly connecting the Amiga up to my Samsung 4 mobile using your Roadshow ,but after saying all that I have decided to have a normal internet connection again so as to use your brilliant Roadshow which I know will work and that will happen this Thursday lol but I would still like to know if the roadshow would work off the sam 4 internet as it does with the pc ,sorry if I confuse you but I like to try new things with my also wonderful Amiga 1200 but some time I am a little out of my depth ,just one more point ,I use a wireless easynet card in my pcmia slot and in theory the Samsung s4 should connect through your roadshow lol or maybe not meaning the Amiga may well think ,what the hell am I sending it lol any way good luck if you can understand all that lol very best wishes Brian. ps just another point the Amiga should be able to talk to the Samsung Gallaxy 4 but it very well may not be able too even when set up right as I found out with Easynet as Easynet stated all was ok but sadly no talking to sam 4 .