« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

NFS / Samba

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

tryphon

NFS / Samba

Post by tryphon »

Hello,

I use Roadshow for a long time. It works great.

To access my home server, I run Samba 2.2.5 with SMBFS. However, 2.2.5 version becomes very old and my new stuff does not support this version anymore or have a partial support only .

For example from my Amiga 2000 (OS 3.9), I cannot reach accentuated files on the server since a few newer firmwares. But with the old server firmwares, the support was good.

Well, there is the old FTP protocol ... I do not use it.

I will be glad to use NFS (nfsd), but is it possible to run it with Roadshow (I saw some portmap/nfs entries in the config files) ? How ?

Updating Samba ? I doubt.

It remains VPN ... (dream).

Thank you.
Thomas
Amiga Future Redaktion
Amiga Future Redaktion

Post by Thomas »

I have no problem to access a Samba 3.6 server with the latest available version of SMBFS for AmigaOS.

You don't need an Amiga version of Samba to access another server.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: NFS / Samba

Post by olsen »

tryphon wrote:Hello,

I use Roadshow for a long time. It works great.

To access my home server, I run Samba 2.2.5 with SMBFS. However, 2.2.5 version becomes very old and my new stuff does not support this version anymore or have a partial support only .

For example from my Amiga 2000 (OS 3.9), I cannot reach accentuated files on the server since a few newer firmwares. But with the old server firmwares, the support was good.

Well, there is the old FTP protocol ... I do not use it.

I will be glad to use NFS (nfsd), but is it possible to run it with Roadshow (I saw some portmap/nfs entries in the config files) ? How ?

Updating Samba ? I doubt.

It remains VPN ... (dream).

Thank you.
I know what you are talking about. The Samba/smbfs versions available today (which I am largely responsible for, not just for writing Roadshow) are almost a decade old by now. Microsoft has been pushing back to make the interfaces obsolete which smbfs uses, and even modern Linux systems (e.g. NAS servers) running Samba 3.x can make trouble for smbfs today.

This used to be different, but because the flaws of the technical underpinnings of Samba/smbfs had become too difficult to handle, a replacement was required, and that replacement has been deployed over the last decade. That migration is now largely over, except for platforms such as the Amiga, which are stuck with code which one guy (yours truly) ported and then did not update as time went by.

I would not recommend NFS (that is the Amiga NFS client) unless you are either at the end of your rope or are absolutely certain that the system you want to access through NFS actually supports NFS well. Aside from that, the Amiga NFS client should work with Roadshow, although some assembly may be required. I did not use the Amiga NFS client with Roadshow for almost a decade, so my information may be stale...

The state of Samba/smbfs on the Amiga is lamentable, but resolving the problem is really complex. I have been working on fixing them on and off for the last two years in my spare time (what little left there is) and did not make much headway.

I wish I could offer you an alternative, or at least a stop-gap measure, but the technology which Samba/smbfs is built upon is so broken, and the now widely deployed alternatives are hard to integrate into the old smbfs code. Porting a modern Samba 3.x to the Amiga is an even greater challenge.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

Thomas wrote:I have no problem to access a Samba 3.6 server with the latest available version of SMBFS for AmigaOS.

You don't need an Amiga version of Samba to access another server.
Unfortunately, if you are using smbfs, you cannot be certain that you will be able to access any SMB/CIFS file server through it.

Microsoft switched to SMB2, starting with "Windows Vista", which deprecated services that are essential for the smbfs client to get anywhere with authentication, etc. Samba followed suit, and nowadays the compatibility layers which used to exist alongside the "new" SMB2 services have been largely eliminated. For example, you cannot use smbfs to talk to a modern Mac OS X, because is supports SMB2 only.

As I wrote, making smbfs talk enough SMB2 to be useful again has proven very difficult, and at least from my perspective a solution is still a long way away indeed :-(
tryphon

Post by tryphon »

I cannot imagine the time you spent to port Samba on Amiga.

I am sure my home server (linux based) supports NFS. I do not know the complete statistics, but I think most Amiga users have a linux OS partition on their PC computer. In your opinion, do you think it will be easier to make NFS usable on Amiga than porting the new Samba protocol?

Code: Select all

although some assembly may be required 
ouch, I may hit a wall!

... but if you give some hits, I will try.

Thomas : The main need I have is the access to shared data like pictures, music and documents. I store them once on a home server (except for backup). My client computers/tablets/phones never store these data but have a network access to them. Then I build only one place to manage data : no synchronization and no transfert to think between each client. Very simple : I turn on any computer, I connect to my shared data and I play my files (I need not to turn on the server which runs 24/24h).
For this limited use, from my Amiga, it works quite well like you said. I think you use german language and you sometimes use accentuation to name your personnal files (ä, ö, ü, ...). Could you access these files stored on a modern computer (and modern OS) from your Amiga using SMBFS ? I have thousands personnal files named with accents and I cannot imagine to not use accentuation.

Thank you for the brainstorming.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

tryphon wrote:I cannot imagine the time you spent to port Samba on Amiga.
It really did require years of effort, in particular the unpleasant part involving the one single bug which broke the Samba port.
I am sure my home server (linux based) supports NFS. I do not know the complete statistics, but I think most Amiga users have a linux OS partition on their PC computer. In your opinion, do you think it will be easier to make NFS usable on Amiga than porting the new Samba protocol?
You might want to give this a try. The Amiga NFS client is still available from Aminet, and it ought to work.

Code: Select all

although some assembly may be required 
ouch, I may hit a wall!

... but if you give some hits, I will try.

Thomas : The main need I have is the access to shared data like pictures, music and documents. I store them once on a home server (except for backup). My client computers/tablets/phones never store these data but have a network access to them. Then I build only one place to manage data : no synchronization and no transfert to think between each client. Very simple : I turn on any computer, I connect to my shared data and I play my files (I need not to turn on the server which runs 24/24h).
For this limited use, from my Amiga, it works quite well like you said. I think you use german language and you sometimes use accentuation to name your personnal files (ä, ö, ü, ...). Could you access these files stored on a modern computer (and modern OS) from your Amiga using SMBFS ? I have thousands personnal files named with accents and I cannot imagine to not use accentuation.

Thank you for the brainstorming.
The accents are problematic because of how smbfs handles them. smbfs is still set up to perform a simple code page based translation, in which a single character in the original file name is mapped to a different single character in the file name as it appears on the Amiga. In the time that has passed since smbfs was originally written the translation scheme changed. Now it's no longer the case that a single character in the original file name needs to be translated into a single character in the file name as it appears on the Amiga, it's a sequence of characters in the original file name that need to be translated.

I hate to say so, but the file name issue is less serious than the general operational problems of smbfs right now :-(