« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Roadshow Firewall antivirus for my Amiga 1200

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Roadshow Firewall antivirus for my Amiga 1200

Post by scarrabri »

Hi having got Roadshow to work with a lot of help on this forum and indeed i am thrilled to bits with the performance i got to thinking i really need a Firewall and antivirus setting up as i am surfing the net more on my Amiga than on my pc ,it has been said there is already some protection on my Router ,but i am not sure if this is enough any help please
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Roadshow Firewall antivirus for my Amiga 1200

Post by olsen »

scarrabri wrote:Hi having got Roadshow to work with a lot of help on this forum and indeed i am thrilled to bits with the performance i got to thinking i really need a Firewall and antivirus setting up as i am surfing the net more on my Amiga than on my pc ,it has been said there is already some protection on my Router ,but i am not sure if this is enough any help please
Please keep in mind that the Amiga is not a Windows machine. The threat posed by viruses on the Amiga is very, very, very tiny by comparison. It's already very, very, very tiny in comparison with the threats posed by viruses on Linux, which itself has a very, very, very tiny chance of infection when compared to Windows.

I haven't looked into Amiga viruses for a long time. The last time I talked to an expert about it was more than 15 years ago, and even then this was a niche problem. I expect that the situation has only changed for the better: computer viruses are tools to extract money from the victims, and this only works if there are many possible victims. This is why there are so many Windows platform viruses, etc.: a very large group of users are vulnerable. This is not the case for the Amiga, on which virus development would not be profitable (not enough users).

Put another way, you'll have a hard time finding a commercial anti-virus solution for the Amiga, and there is a reason for that.

As for the firewall issue: if you have a gateway router which both your Amiga and Windows computers are using to access the internet, and both can access the router at the same time, then you already have a firewall: it's the gateway router.

You could set up the Roadshow firewall, but I would recommend against it. Firstly, it's hard to set up, even for guys like me who have some experience in this field. Secondly, a firewall is a defense against a specific threat or risk, and in order to protect your Amiga you would need to know which threats you are facing. As far as I can tell there are no credible threats for Amiga computers inside a local home network which is already shielded against intrusions from the internet.

Long story short: don't worry about it :-)
scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by scarrabri »

Hi ,and thank you so much ,i am really pleased that My Amiga is safe ,i know there is still a chance of some thing happening but i want to use my Amiga on line as much as i can and it sure surfs the net well i have to say your Roadshow is the best value for money i have ever spent ,my very best wishes to you Brian. :) :) :) :) :)