« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Sample modification warning?

Support DigiBooster

Moderators: G.Frank, AndreasM

krashan
Amiga Future Fan
Amiga Future Fan

Sample modification warning?

Post by krashan »

As I'm currently implementing basic sample editor, I have one question to current and future DigiBooster users.

As you know, DigiBooster can use the same sample for more than one instrument. Should the program display a warning, when some destructive (like cut or insert) operation is being done on such a sample? It may be valuable option, especially when one edits an existing module. On the other hand a requester popping up at every cut, insert or other operation may be irritating. Maybe adding an additional "Don't ask again" button to the requester is an option?

What if such operation is performed via ARexx script? In my opinion ARexx scripts should not be interrupted by requesters coming from application.
G.Frank
AmiAtlas Developer

Post by G.Frank »

Hello Krashan!

Only one option in the prefs should be the best I think,
means only one requester at the first edit operation.

Another requester with every operation is not acceptable IMHO!
At least I would hate this...

ARexx could give an error or force it via another command.
EDITOVERWRITE or so... :-)

Greetings!
daxb
AFF Profi
AFF Profi

Post by daxb »

First, I never used the same sample for more then one instrument. For what can I use it (atm I don`t see any)?

If there is a need for such a requester you should added an option where it can de-activated.
It seems that you add a "complete" ARexx Port to DBP. I have two solutions for you. :) First, a global command that de-activates every requester tha may pop-up. Second, for necessary commands use an option like "force" to prevent requester pop-up.
Töpfer Härry
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by Töpfer Härry »

well, add an option "use a copy of the sample for editing".

That means, if you want an edit option affect a sample everywhere used, you can do it, if not, you can edit only the...don't know how to say better...."current used one"...

cant explain it better at the moment.

Oh, and I'd say, ask once (maybe an "Deactivate please"- checkbox and include the option to deactivate completely in the prefs also...

by the way, how do you treat the DSP-section of DBPro, is it some kind of expandable or do you "hardwire" it into DBPro ?

WHat do you intend to do with Arexx in DBPro (haven't followed progress on dbpro for a while...) ?

Oh, and thanks for your work on it...I really appreciate it and I'm surely not the only one :)
krashan
Amiga Future Fan
Amiga Future Fan

Post by krashan »

Töpfer Härry wrote:by the way, how do you treat the DSP-section of DBPro, is it some kind of expandable or do you "hardwire" it into DBPro?
Depends on what you consider a DSP section. Realtime filters? Or sample editor?
Töpfer Härry wrote:WHat do you intend to do with Arexx in DBPro (haven't followed progress on dbpro for a while...) ?
You will be able to script almost everything available via GUI. In fact most of GUI elements call ARexx commands internally (bypassing some stages of processing to speed it up). Current version has only 5 commands (tested and working), but there will be constant progress. ARexx documentation is being created simultaneously with implementation, so the next beta (expected to be released on 11-th of June at AmiParty #11) will have ARexx commands guide included.
Töpfer Härry
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by Töpfer Härry »

sounds cool with arexx :)

with DSP-filters I mean't realtime...but now that you mention it...both would be interesting...
I just would like to see one day a chance to expand DBPro with "external effects" and such maybe like something like vst in Cubase or something similar....though I'd say it wouldn't be of a high priority at the moment for me...but later....
I thought of (but don't know, whether it is realistic at all) somehow adding "Hollywood" support, but I don't know how good Hollywood is regarding audio....and if some kind of interface between both of them is even programmable....
If I know what I mean with that question exactly, I may ask Andreas Falkenhahn if something like that would be realistic somehow...
Just messing around with some ideas in my head ;)

@Betatesters
has someone already tested DBPro beta on UAE an knows how well it performs ?
krashan
Amiga Future Fan
Amiga Future Fan

Post by krashan »

Töpfer Härry wrote:I just would like to see one day a chance to expand DBPro with "external effects" and such maybe like something like vst in Cubase or something similar....
The player engine is designed modularly. Then it is possible to have external plugins as instruments (including not sample based ones), as track filters and as postprocessing stages after mixing.
Töpfer Härry wrote:@Betatesters
has someone already tested DBPro beta on UAE an knows how well it performs ?
Beta versions are public since February, anyone can download AmigaOS 3 beta and run it on WinUAE. If you use Picasso96 emulation for display and WinUAE AHI driver, DB3 should perform well.
sam41

Post by sam41 »

could give an error or force it via another command? :-?
krashan
Amiga Future Fan
Amiga Future Fan

Post by krashan »

sam41 wrote:could give an error or force it via another command? :-?
I've decided that desctructive edition with ARexx command goes without warning, but there are two ARexx commands to deal with such samples: GetSampleUsage returns number of instruments using a sample and SampleClone creates a separate copy of a sample just for the current instrument.

When a destructive edition is done via GUI on a sample used by more than one instrument, a requester popups with option of cloning the sample, proceeding with edit and cancelling the operation.
mr-cool
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by mr-cool »

i think, additional "don't ask again" dialogue would be good and would suffice the purpose.