« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Feature requests

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

kolla

Feature requests

Post by kolla »

I don't see any such thread already, so here goes... :)

* ping
- timeout options (like BSD "-t : Specify a timeout, in seconds, before ping exits regardless of how many packets have been received.")
- exit on first ping replay (like BSD "-o : Exit successfully after receiving one reply packet.")

* rsh client?
- ssh is non-trival for a whole range of reasons on Amiga, but a working rsh would be great for executing remote commands over the LAN. On Aminet there is a even a rshd, but I have yet to find a working rsh client.
(The one that comes with AmiTCP only says "Unable to exec AmiTCP:bin/rlogin", which isn't to strange, considering that AmigaOS doesn't really do "exec()" AFAIK.)
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Feature requests

Post by olsen »

kolla wrote:I don't see any such thread already, so here goes... :)

* ping
- timeout options (like BSD "-t : Specify a timeout, in seconds, before ping exits regardless of how many packets have been received.")
- exit on first ping replay (like BSD "-o : Exit successfully after receiving one reply packet.")
I already started making small changes to the "ping" command which should appear in the next update. The features you requested are not among these changes, but I will add them as soon as possible.
* rsh client?
- ssh is non-trival for a whole range of reasons on Amiga, but a working rsh would be great for executing remote commands over the LAN. On Aminet there is a even a rshd, but I have yet to find a working rsh client.
(The one that comes with AmiTCP only says "Unable to exec AmiTCP:bin/rlogin", which isn't to strange, considering that AmigaOS doesn't really do "exec()" AFAIK.)
I looked up the 4.4BSD-Lite2 code for rsh and rcmd, and the implementation appears to be shockingly straightforward for a change ;) An "rsh" command might be very easy to write, and I'll start working on it as soon as I can.

The "rsh" command is (according to the source code) a special case of the "rlogin" command, which explains the error message printed. "rlogin" is expected to prompt you for a password, and once you are logged in, the server's output and your input will flow in both directions. The "rsh" command is (basically) "rlogin" with a command and the command's parameters to execute on the remote server. No password is prompted for, and the server only sends output back to you.

Anyway, I'll start working on "ping" and "rsh" as soon as the long delayed Roadshow 1.13 update is working and available.
kolla

Re: Feature requests

Post by kolla »

olsen wrote: Anyway, I'll start working on "ping" and "rsh" as soon as the long delayed Roadshow 1.13 update is working and available.
Awesome, thanks a lot! :)