« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Roadshow on OS4?

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

kolla

Roadshow on OS4?

Post by kolla »

Just curious - as OS4.1FE (on my A3000) still with update1 seems to be using "old" binaries (dated 2009 and thereabouts, according to version info), is it perhaps best to update it with Roadshow, even though it is 68k? Is the TCP stack in OS4 at all maintained at this point?
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Roadshow on OS4?

Post by olsen »

kolla wrote:Just curious - as OS4.1FE (on my A3000) still with update1 seems to be using "old" binaries (dated 2009 and thereabouts, according to version info), is it perhaps best to update it with Roadshow, even though it is 68k?
Let's say that I would not recommend it, except perhaps as a research project ;-)

The network interface drivers could end up calling 68k code from within interrupt processing. Overall network performance is likely to suffer, and I do not actually know if the 68k emulator is designed to be invoked in interrupt mode.
Is the TCP stack in OS4 at all maintained at this point?
It is being maintained, it's just that the the update release cycles of the 68k and the PPC versions, respectively, of Roadshow do not overlap.

I am (sort of) free to produce 68k updates whenever I manage to find the time (which includes any additional time to fix embarassing mistakes I made when building the update archives).

OS4 updates, by comparison, happen even less often because they need to include much more material, which requires even more time for integration & compatibility testing.

Unfortunately, the most recent OS4 update was released before I began that long overdue bug-squashing effort which would not have been possible without you.