Donate
Amiga Future

Feature requests

View previous topic :: View next topic 
kolla
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

norway

PostPosted: 19.04.2017 - 13:29    Post subject: Feature requests Reply with quote

I don't see any such thread already, so here goes...

* ping
- timeout options (like BSD "-t : Specify a timeout, in seconds, before ping exits regardless of how many packets have been received.")
- exit on first ping replay (like BSD "-o : Exit successfully after receiving one reply packet.")

* rsh client?
- ssh is non-trival for a whole range of reasons on Amiga, but a working rsh would be great for executing remote commands over the LAN. On Aminet there is a even a rshd, but I have yet to find a working rsh client.
(The one that comes with AmiTCP only says "Unable to exec AmiTCP:bin/rlogin", which isn't to strange, considering that AmigaOS doesn't really do "exec()" AFAIK.)
Back to top   PDF
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

PostPosted: 25.04.2017 - 09:19    Post subject: Re: Feature requests Reply with quote

kolla wrote
I don't see any such thread already, so here goes...

* ping
- timeout options (like BSD "-t : Specify a timeout, in seconds, before ping exits regardless of how many packets have been received.")
- exit on first ping replay (like BSD "-o : Exit successfully after receiving one reply packet.")

I already started making small changes to the "ping" command which should appear in the next update. The features you requested are not among these changes, but I will add them as soon as possible.

Quote:

* rsh client?
- ssh is non-trival for a whole range of reasons on Amiga, but a working rsh would be great for executing remote commands over the LAN. On Aminet there is a even a rshd, but I have yet to find a working rsh client.
(The one that comes with AmiTCP only says "Unable to exec AmiTCP:bin/rlogin", which isn't to strange, considering that AmigaOS doesn't really do "exec()" AFAIK.)

I looked up the 4.4BSD-Lite2 code for rsh and rcmd, and the implementation appears to be shockingly straightforward for a change An "rsh" command might be very easy to write, and I'll start working on it as soon as I can.

The "rsh" command is (according to the source code) a special case of the "rlogin" command, which explains the error message printed. "rlogin" is expected to prompt you for a password, and once you are logged in, the server's output and your input will flow in both directions. The "rsh" command is (basically) "rlogin" with a command and the command's parameters to execute on the remote server. No password is prompted for, and the server only sends output back to you.

Anyway, I'll start working on "ping" and "rsh" as soon as the long delayed Roadshow 1.13 update is working and available.
Back to top   PDF
kolla
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

norway

PostPosted: 25.04.2017 - 16:01    Post subject: Re: Feature requests Reply with quote

olsen wrote

Anyway, I'll start working on "ping" and "rsh" as soon as the long delayed Roadshow 1.13 update is working and available.

Awesome, thanks a lot!
Back to top   PDF