Spenden
Donate
Amiga Future

Trying to emulate EDT editor with CED

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Ned
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

PostPosted: 26.07.2006 - 16:00    Post subject: Trying to emulate EDT editor with CED Reply with quote

On my A4000 with an earlier version of CygnusEd I successfully emulated the EDT editor which uses the numeric keypad for its editing functions.

I recently acquired CygnusEd version 5 for use on my uA1C. I am trying to configure it to also emulate the EDT editor. This editor uses the "num lock" key to assign alternate definitions to the rest of the keys on the numeric keypad. I cannot seem to figure out how to "disable" the normal function of the "num lock" key in order to get it to respond as I need it to. Has anyone else tried this or can give me some hints as to how I might go about doing this?
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

PostPosted: 26.07.2006 - 16:35    Post subject: Re: Trying to emulate EDT editor with CED Reply with quote

Ned wrote
On my A4000 with an earlier version of CygnusEd I successfully emulated the EDT editor which uses the numeric keypad for its editing functions.

I recently acquired CygnusEd version 5 for use on my uA1C. I am trying to configure it to also emulate the EDT editor. This editor uses the "num lock" key to assign alternate definitions to the rest of the keys on the numeric keypad. I cannot seem to figure out how to "disable" the normal function of the "num lock" key in order to get it to respond as I need it to. Has anyone else tried this or can give me some hints as to how I might go about doing this?

This is what you might call a "quirk" or bug in the OS4 treatment of the "num lock" key: unlike on OS 1.x through 3.x the "num lock" key changes the key scan codes produced by the numeric keypad. If the keyboard LED for the "num lock" option is lit, it produces different results than when the LED is not lit. I was unaware of these effects until very recently and I haven't found a workaround for this behaviour yet. This change in the treatment of the key has consequences for CygnusEd but was probably intended as an improvement. But since its implementation disregards proven and familiar practice in the treatment of the keyboard on the Amiga we now have a problem that's difficult to resolve.

Sorry, I think you didn't want to hear that I'll see if I can convince somebody on the OS4 development team that this particular change was not necessarily useful.
Back to top   PDF
Ned
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

PostPosted: 27.07.2006 - 01:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Although I do not know the inner workings of CygnusEd, I have to wonder if this isn't something which could be solved internally. It seems to me that if the raw keyboard event of pressing the "num lock" key is in fact passed through, then it might be relatively easy to set some sort of flag within CygnuEd which would say to ignore the state of the "num lock" key and simply treat it just like any other key.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

PostPosted: 01.08.2006 - 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ned wrote
Thanks for the info.

Although I do not know the inner workings of CygnusEd, I have to wonder if this isn't something which could be solved internally. It seems to me that if the raw keyboard event of pressing the "num lock" key is in fact passed through, then it might be relatively easy to set some sort of flag within CygnuEd which would say to ignore the state of the "num lock" key and simply treat it just like any other key.

The problem is that the state of the "num lock" key is not reported. Each keystroke event processed by CygnusEd contains a list of keys (shift, control, alt, etc.) and mouse buttons currently being held down. The list of active keys and buttons (called "qualifiers") is limited to 32, and they have already been taken. There is no "num lock" qualifier CygnusEd could consult and act accordingly
Back to top   PDF